Wednesday, October 26, 2011

3. HER FEARFUL SYMMETRY ~ Audrey Niffenegger

Hmm, who is this? One of the twins?

Her Fearful Symmetry
This book had people scratching their own eyes out or creating alters made from their own ear wax. So, I knew I would either pitch it into the fire or take the Ciroc out of the freezer.

Strangely, I did neither.

How does one describe one of the oddest though fascinating literary experiences? The basic plot involves twin sisters inheriting their aunt's flat in London, on the strict ground that their mother, the aunt's twin, not be allowed there. From there, Elsbeth, the deceased, gains strength in her post-death form, and attempts to communicate with the twins. This book is an example of too much communication can sour a relationship. Go to the nearest pub instead.

However, the descriptions of the after-death experiences were curious and odd enough to make them fresh to my bitter taste buds. Living across from a graveyard did stretch the symmetry of the novel a bit, until I almost felt a bruise on the noggin'. "Do you get it? Don't you get it?" A-ha, graveyard, death, life, symmetry, twins, yes, you have quite a bit going on here that I cannot share without upsetting my readers.

For the win, my favorite character was Martin. Bravo.

2.75 out of 5.0 Peppermint Schnaaps and Cocoas.


No comments: