Thursday, October 20, 2011

1. THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS ~ Vanessa Diffenbaugh


Thorns = Go to hell - who knew?

The Language of Flowers: A Novel

Whomever suggested this novel for my first foray into the 2012 challenge deserves a free book, so email me. Not only did I chew off the inside of my lower lip, my eyes were swollen and sore at the end.

As always, I am jumping ahead.

Victoria Jones earned the general last name through the bland child welfare system. She never knew her parents or their circumstances and only remembered disliking touch and her foster families. Until she met Elizabeth, a oak tree against Victoria's hurricanes of hate. Elizabeth began to teach Victoria about the old language of flowers, when gentlemen dared not send red roses to a lady friend.

This is where I will shoot a test tube of some purply vodka mix to avoid giving away the entire story. It is not happily ever after with Elizabeth. And, I wanted to take a horsewhip from my barn to Victoria. The characters behave how they should, however, based on their experiences.

Kudos to a beautiful debut from Vanessa Diffenbaugh, and I look forward to her next work.

4.25 out 5.0 Captain Morgan Silver Sodas.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I will definitely have to read the book. It sounds intriguing.

Danmark said...

This is such a captivating book. The language of flowers is interwoven in to the life of Victoria; an orphan with an attitude of mistrust. I don't like to give away the plot, but this books keeps you wanting to know what happens till the very end. Loved it!