Wednesday, January 12, 2011

3. THE AWAKENING - Kate Chopin


The age-old story of a woman realizing her worth and expressing her freedom from male influence... yet Kate Chopin published this novel in 1899. It was unheard of during the time, making Chopin predictably shunned and disliked.

This is a classic that everyone should read for early feminism. What is fantastic is that Chopin was actually surprised by that perspective.

Oh, the book? Just google the topic... you'll like it. I know you.

4.0 out of 5.0 In the Oceans.

3 comments:

Nana Fredua-Agyeman said...

Interesting but I thought you were going to give us an in-depth review. Now you have only left a need in reader's mind. lol..

Kristina said...

I liked this one too! Everyone kept telling me to read it and I couldn't figure it out why?

Stefania said...

You're right. I'll like it.

I'm about to start a class on American Women Writers. Kate Chopin is not listed among the required texts, but I'm sure she'll be mentioned.