Tuesday, August 31, 2010

23. THE THIRTEENTH TALE - Diane Setterfield



Oh, to have thought of this concept. A biographer meets with the famous author, Vida Winter, to hear her life story, including that of the unwritten "Thirteenth Tale." However, is Margaret going to believe a woman who has told reporters several different stories of her life?

Rather than be misled, Margaret investigates Vida's past. As she peels back the layers, she realizes that truth can be stranger than fiction.

I'll admit it... I thought it would be overrated. However, I was charmed. Though there are enough coincidences to make one's frown begin to pucker, it is still a fascinating story that engrosses the reader.

3.75 out of 5.0 Drinks without a Name.

4 comments:

Nana Fredua-Agyeman said...

A review so concise yet telling us all we need to know. Haven't heard of this novel before... thanks for bringing to me.

sunburst5 said...

I enjoyed this book too. I went into it with no preconceived ideas and it wasn't until I got to the end that I realized that it was a modern Gothic tale.

sunburst5 said...

I enjoyed this book too. I went into it with no preconceived ideas and I guess I wasn't analyzing it very deeply because it wasn't until I got to the ending that I realized that it is a modern Gothic tale. It was kind-of fun to be caught off guard.

Susan C said...

I enjoyed this book as well.