Thursday, February 18, 2010

6. FOLLOW THE RIVER - James Alexander Thom


The cheesy cover. The almost-romance lift of her skirt. Oh, friend of mine, if I had seen the book when you recommended it, I would never have read it.

However, as this site shows, there are just some bad book covers. Or, it is from a genre writer, so it gets a genre cover. Or, we can blame the 80s. I do it all of the time.

Mary Ingles (not to be confused with Mary Ingalls of Laura Ingalls Wilder fame) is kidnapped by Shawnee Indians after a massacre in her small Virginia settlement. She is nine months pregnant with two sons, but she takes charge of the other prisoners and gets kick-ass respect from her captors.

After plotting her escape, she finally makes a run for it with a Dutch woman, knowing only that she must follow the river to get home to her husband.

Super quick read, fascinating tale that is based on a true story. It made me ask myself, "What if I had to make the same choices?" which is always a sign of a good read in my view.

3.0 out of 5.0 Vodka Chillers.

2 comments:

J.T. Oldfield said...

Ha! I blame the '80's all the time, too!

Kristin Dodge said...

This new leggings trend brings on the flashbacks. ;-)