Sunday, December 13, 2009

"Dance like it hurts,/ Love like you need money,/ Work when people are watching." - Scott Adams

Well said.

My annual yearly review is always around my birthday. For you naughty readers (who are not reminded infernally by Facebook), it is in the beginning of November. I think about what I achieved that birth year, as well as what I would like to set as goals in the future.

For once, I rocked my year. I made my goals. In fact, I surpassed them.

Pooh on me, but I am going to keep them private. Still, I felt like giving myself an award (I did) and a lot of recognition (still doing it - obviously). Several pats on the back (and on the arse - why not? it's not sexual harassment if it is yourself and you work at home) later, and I still needed to figure out my next birth year goals.

Shared goal number one: internet-free Sundays. Ahem, by reading the date and timestamp of this entry, you will see how that goal is working out for me.

Shared goal number two: finish the damn book. Seriously, or my hair will remain dark auburn eggplant fire, and I already miss my "natural" dark blond.

Shared goal number three: learn more about Buddhism. I've studied other religions (see past blogs about the Torah and Qur'an experiences), but I am drawn to the ideas of Buddhism. I love saying "namaste" in yoga class (some smartass is going to tell me that is Sanskrit). I like the idea of free-flowing energy. Lotus blossoms smell nice. And saying, "Ohm!" very loudly frightens away raccoons, possums, and errant wild kids.

But I have so many questions, like do I have to become a vegan? Why do some people see Jesus or saints during meditation, while I use the entire time telling myself, "Shut up. Stop it. Quit it. Don't make me pull over and force you to not think."

Can I still have PMS? Do I need to bless the Japanese ladybug beetles that squirt nastiness on me before I squish them? Can I still use sarcasm? How often? What about alcohol? Oh, Buddha, what about alcohol?

I am reading The Heart of the Buddha's Teachings, and I love how Hanh uses poetry to express parts of Buddhism. It is inspiring without being cultish... so far.

~~~~

The best reads of 2009 will be posted in a couple weeks, as well as the official Books for Breakfast reading goal for 2010. I think you will have fun with it.

9 comments:

Jen K said...

I love your blog, so I'm really flattered that you linked to me. Thank you.

Kristin Dodge said...

My pleasure!

Stefania said...

Hey, have you read "Siddharta" by Herman Hesse? I loved that book. That's the only thing I read about Buddhism, I'm afraid. Sigh :-(

Kristin Dodge said...

Stefania... a hint for you: repost that comment in 2010. ;-)

Jason said...

Anything by TNH is great, but my favorite book on Buddhism is Stephen Batchelor's Buddhism Without Beliefs. Really outstanding.

The Dalai Lama's stuff is interesting, but it's stuck in a Tibetan frame--and even though Hanh is Zen, his work seems more universalizable. (That "word" just fell broken from my brain, and I'll leave it lying there lest it stain my hands).

Kristin Dodge said...

"lest it stain my hands." That was beautiful, Jason. You better put that in the "to be used" file. Seriously.

viola black said...

As far as reading about Buddhism, I very much liked Sylvia Boorstein (of course, now I'm going to have to look up the spelling) -- she has several books, but my favorite thus far was one I found in a half price bookshop called It's Easier Than You Think. -- it's me, Ashley Crump, but for some reason my Google ID is stuck on one of my aliases.

Kristin Dodge said...

Ashley... thanks! I'm putting that on my list.

illahee said...

i agree with Stefania: read "Siddhartha". i didn't want it to end.

perhaps you would also enjoy "The Dharma Bums" by Jack Kerouac. i like it better than "On the Road".

"The Sufi Book of Life" by Neil Douglas-Klotz (your different religions theme)is a unique insight ... read from the beginning or open at random.