Thursday, October 08, 2009

56. ONE SECOND AFTER - William R. Forstchen


Anyone want nightmares? It is the time of year when people search out ghosts and goblins and witches. Whether it is for All Hallow's Eve, Samhain, or Halloween, nothing will scare you more than this book.

This novel is about the year after three EMF nuclear bombs are set off above the United States - EMF meaning electro-magnetic frequency. All electronics are affected, including newer cars and water pumps. There are no ways to get medicines or travel, except by foot.

John, a history professor and former Looey, is forced by his conscience to help his small North Carolina community. The choices are brutal, and the results are realistic. Even John does not come out of this situation unscathed.

My gripes: there is a definite agenda to this book. The foreward is by Newt Gingrich, and the conclusion is by a doctor who talks about how this is being ignored by current and past administration. The writing is achingly poor... at times, I had no idea who was speaking because of the strange dialogue format. When I read about Hurricane Katrina - well, let's just say I laughed out loud because of the author's politics being inserted into the story.

Still, it is a quick read and will make you have freaky nightmares. And if this happens, don't even think about coming out here. My ranch is already booked for doomsday scenarios.

2.5 out of 5.0 Red Deaths.

3 comments:

J.T. said...

I don't know...part of me thinks that this book sounds really funny.

Kristin Dodge said...

If you are a hard-left liberal, you will snicker and snort. And if you are trying to publish your own masterpiece, reading this will make you want to bang your head against a wall.

I forgot to mention that the best literary book is "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. Read it before seeing the film (the trailer has already infuriated me). It is not a book that feels good, but I still cannot get some of the amazing imagery out of my mind.

Nana Fredua-Agyeman said...

Sometimes we cannot avoid be allow our prejudices enter into our writings. I read a book by someone who was so much against the military government in Ghana's past that he started writing about reserve funds and interest rate in a novel that talks about the search for a loved one and repatriation.