Friday, September 25, 2009

53. SILVERSTEIN AND ME - Marv Gold


Based on Marv Gold's lifelong friendship with Shel Silverstein, this memoir gives a glimpse of the mysterious man who lived a juxtaposition. He created art for Playboy and published children's poems. He wrote incredible songs ("Boy Named Sue") but did not have the voice to sing. He barely gave interviews, and when he did, he turned the questions back to the reporter.

Do I feel like I know the man more now? Not really, though the book does have some interesting stories. However, I wonder if they are meant to enlarge the myth of Silverstein or simply remember that even his closest friends did not really know him.

With its quick narrative style, you can read this in a few hours at most. Because I never felt that I received substantial answers, it was more of a disappointment than an intriguing peek at a famous man whose children's poems will forever be stamped in my mind.

2.0 out of 5.0 Miami Beaches.

2 comments:

Dave said...

Apparently Silverstein wrote a follow-up to Boy Named Sue which was pretty funny. Hey why is there a woman named Jess who has a blog saying your youngest is her future husband?

Kristin Dodge said...

My answer: crazy. To everything you wrote.