Wednesday, July 08, 2009

38. MY SISTER'S KEEPER - Jodi Picoult


Every time that I want to flick the dust of Jodi Picoult off my liter-ahry map of books, she surprises me again. Yes, she is writing women's literature, but she uses imagery like Maya Angelou and dialogue like Quentin Tarantino. Plus, she intrigues me with her "what if" scenarios, which is why I enjoy writing.

The movie is out. I have heard it does not compare to the book, so I will not go there.

Simply, Anna was created to have the cord blood to help her older sister fight cancer. When that didn't work, she repeatedly donates plasma, blood, and bone marrow. Finally, at the age of thirteen, Anna wants her body left alone, but that means her sister will die without the vital kidney transplant. So, Anna hires a lawyer.

This is a "what if" scenario of the highest degree, but I found myself angry with the mother and frustrated by the father. However, by the end, I was bawling through the last pages. Yes, it is women's lit, but it is of the highest quality. Picoult, as a mother, knows just how to hit the solar plexus and make one gasp for breath.

3.75 out of 5.0 Silent Erasers.

8 comments:

Katie said...

This was by far my favorite book of hers, the first read, and the one that sent me on my quest to read the rest of her work (which I've yet to complete). I am afraid to see the movie because I've heard the endings are quite different.

Annie said...

This was also my favorite book of hers. I think the others are good, but not as page-turning as My Sister's Keeper. I have seen the film. Eh. I didn't HATE it, but I wouldn't watch it again and probably wouldn't recommend it to people who love the book. It is a nice way to introduce new people to her books, though.

Nathan said...

I'm curious what you mean by "women's literature." Is it because most of the main charcters are female or that the story is about domestic issues? Or that the target audience is women?

Kristin Dodge said...

Target audience is women, Nathan. I see more and more requests in pub. markets for "women's lit."

Jason said...

I didn't feel like I wasted time reading this book a couple years ago, but the ending felt like a cop-out to me. A bit deus-ex-machinish.

Anonymous said...

I agree that the book was good, but the cop-out ending truly ruined it for me and negated the statement the book seemed to be trying to make. I actually felt insulted by the ridiculous way the book ended. It was as if Picoult had grown bored with the premise and with the characters.

Sheila DeChantal said...

Jodi Picoult is an amazing writer and I have liked everything I have read of hers so far.

I did go to the movie and while it is different from the book, I wouldn't say it is "bad different".
I was still like you, angry at the mom and found that the movie brought out strong emotions just as the book did. I actually felt they captured that well.

I do prefer the book ending to the movie ending and for that matter, so does Jodi Picoult.

Thanks for reviewing this.

Connie said...

Not my favorite Picoult but damned if she doesn't know how to tug those heartstrings, and keep you awake at night. Thanks for the review!