Tuesday, June 30, 2009

37. OUTLIERS: THE STORY OF SUCCESS - Malcolm Gladwell


For decades, there is always at least one how-to book that crops up like a dandelion in a strawberry patch. You know the names, even if you never read past the title: Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus or Dianetics. I remember "the Secret," as well as "the Word."

Still, Outliers is different. It shows the correlation between success and behaviors, situations, and just plain luck. For example, most Canadian professional hockey players are born in January, February, and March. Do you think that parents plan that? They might start thinking about it, now.

With fantastic interviews that build on basic principals, it is a book that encourages more discussion - even prompting a huge talk about how many hours one must read and write to become a successful author (with my 10-year-old).

4.5 out of 5.0 Knock-Outs.

3 comments:

Katie said...

I have heard that before about hockey players!

I have had this book on my shelf for awhile but I'm going to put it higher on the pile. (Really I am). Thanks for the reminder.

Kristin Dodge said...

Katie, I sound like a preacher, but this book changed how I parent and how I treat myself. It sounds hokey, but there is only so much you can leave to chance. The rest is dedication and hard work.

I bet you will love the other examples, as well. The hockey players one blew me away. It's similar with other sports, as well. Fascinating.

Katie said...

I love books that change the way I act! I'm so excited to read this now.

Thanks also for adding me to your blogroll :)