Tuesday, May 26, 2009

29. "The Sky Always Hears Me and the Hills Don't Mind" - Kirstin Cronn-Mills


Young adult fiction has found a new, kick-ass voice.

Morgan lives in "Central Nowhere," Nebraska, writing fortune cookie slogans in her head while stocking shelves at the local grocery store. She is furious with her family, annoyed with her boyfriend, and indifferent to "the Girls I Sit By At Lunch." Morgan wants out of there, wants it so desperately that sometimes she has to drive to the hills bordering the edge of a valley and scream, "[...]ALIENS TAKE ME NOW, 15 times, shouted into the air. Then I AM INSANE and DIE ASSHOLE DIE and BITE ME, but only five times each."

Morgan is also frustrated because Tessa, her neighbor, kissed her in a hammock, and Morgan liked it. But Central Nowhere is the last place where alternate sexualities are tolerated, so Morgan stays with Derek, the dumb jock, lusts after Rob, the assistant manager at work, and worries about her connections to Tessa, as well as her own sexuality.

I haven't been this excited about a book for teens since Judy Blume's "Forever," and I still have a copy of that with red ink circling my favorite parts. Morgan is quite different from Katherine, though; one time, she screams, "I am a secret sex fiend!" and her fortunes advise against having sex in the front seat of a car. Morgan's voice is the driving force of this novel in a genre where teenage girls are praised for their timidness or silence (yes, Bella, I am talking to you).

Cronn-Mills creates characters of substance, from Tessa and her Kool-Aid tinted hair to Morgan's grandmother and her closet filled with special organ-playing shoes. But it is the dialogue that hit me, especially when I was at the grocery store recently and heard a teen girl say, "He's not into you? No, all he wants is to get into you." I thought I found Morgan in the pickle aisle. Her voice resonates long after you turn the last page.

4.75 out of 5.0 Skittles.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I loved FOREVER, so this is on my list. Not out until September?? How did you get a copy, you minx.

MH

Lisa said...

That looks really good, hopefully I'll still remember to look for it when it comes out!

Connie said...

I wish this book had been around when *I* was a YA. It sounds like just the kind of thing I would have enjoyed then. Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to read it now!

Thanks for the review. :)

-Connie @ Constance-Reader.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

I pre-ordered because Morgan sounds just like me as a teenager even though I haven't been there in years! Maybe Morgan grows up to write a book blog like you with the same sassy voice. Hahaha!

Teri (yes I will get a blogger identity soon)

Jen B. said...

Lucky dog! It hasn't even been released yet--you must have some slick connections. : )

Kristin Dodge said...

Someone emailed... "Funny how the name is similar to yours AND you got to read it super early. Admit it: it's your work."

Nope! She is a fellow Minnesotan, true, but we are not the same person. See?

www.kirstincronn-mills.com