Saturday, March 21, 2009

"The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" - David Wroblewski


Wroblewski knows dogs.

Rural Wisconsin - a boy is born with no voice. He screams as a baby, but his dog, Almondine, is his champion, waking mom and, later, following Edgar Sawtelle as he does his farm chores. Edgar's family breeds dogs: Sawtelle dogs, wonders with training and mindfulness. His mother and father love each other, and he learns to speak to them through sign language.

Then, a death that rocks Edgar's world of chaff and "down" and tails. Edgar can't speak the truth, but he plans a way to convince everyone of it.

I know Oprah recommended this book (now, of course, *after* I read it). I don't care. She loves her dogs, too, and it is impossible to turn away from the pages when you read the dog-love.

4.75 out of 5.0 Salty Dogs.

7 comments:

Sandra said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed this story too. I reviewed it six days before it was announced as an Oprah pick.

Nathan said...

" . . .it is impossible to turn away from the pages when you read the dog-love."

Ahem.

Bibliolatrist said...

I'm glad you liked this one - I did too.

Diane said...

I really liked this book a lot; great review.

Kristin Dodge said...

Hee, Nathan. Perhaps "dog-love" wasn't the right way to describe it. Unless that's your thing, I guess.

Grad said...

This was one of the first books I read on my 2009 TBR list. I am one of the few who didn't like it, for reasons I explained in my blog a couple of months ago. In a nutshell, I think it would have benefited from some fairly significant editing, and just didn't seem to live up to the hype.

Maggie May said...

I can't make myself read this for some reason! I love your blog :) Hello :)