Sunday, March 29, 2009

22. "Beginner's Greek" - James Collins


Peter is a romantic, always dreaming of sitting next to a woman on a plane: she will be "the one." Then, he meets Holly on a plane bound for L.A. Sparks fly, he gets the number, he loses the number.

Years later, they meet again, though Holly is now the wife of his best friend. And, so it goes.

This book has been heralded as chick lit from a guy's perspective or cruelly accurate mockery of New York elitists. Whatever. I guess you could pigeon-hole it into romance, but Peter would turn on only a small percentage of women who needed their gaydar reactivated.

With wildly inane character descriptions (really? we really need to know ten pages about the woman who cooks for someone?), Collins was applauded for this overwritten piece of meth.

In other words, I despised it.

.25 out of 5.0 Fucked-Up Shits.

4 comments:

Jason said...

Given your reaction, I'm a bit surprised it didn't get an XX. How'd you push through?

On the other hand, if you add this score to the Edgar Sawtelle score, you have a perfect 5. Is that an accurate assessment?

Maggie May said...

Sounds like dreck.

Kristin Dodge said...

Sawtelle > > > Greek

I pushed through because I thought, it must get better. It has to get better. Everyone loved this book. What am I missing?

If everyone jumped off a cliff... et cetera.

Dreck times infinity.

Becky said...

I barely made it through 10 pages before returning it to the library. I don't know how you managed to get through the whole thing.