Thursday, January 29, 2009

7. "Pale Horse, Pale Rider" - Katherine Porter


NPR said I should read this book. Now, I don't normally listen to radio signals (neither do I wear tinfoil hats), but I thought I'd give this book of three novellas a shot.

The title's novella, Pale Horse, Pale Rider, is about Miranda, a young woman from another novella, who is working at a Denver newspaper during the World War I influenza outbreak. While the balance between life and death is overwrought, it was the dialogue that killed the mood for me. Paraphrasing, one man says, "I must go to war or I could not live with myself." I've seen or read or heard that in multiple television shows, movies, and books. I read to escape that kind of mediocre drama.

Of the three, Noon Wine was the most interesting. A dairy farm is taken over and revitalized by an escapee of a lunatic asylum. Still, I would not put this on a must-read list. Read short stories by Updike or Eggers or Hempel. Read to learn something about yourself.

1.75 out of 5.0 Bay Horses.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Just to let you know I've been here and read all your reviews from this one to Gargoyle. Most don't fall into my area of reading, the short stories perhaps and Gargoyle but I always enjoy reading your reviews. Too bad the Porter stories weren't better.