Thursday, January 22, 2009

6. "Edinburgh" - Alexander Chee


This is a novel that is breathless in its cruelty, yet thrilling in its beauty. It has been a while since I have read slowly, nibbling instead of devouring. These words have the sweetness of raw cane.

However, some can't get past the bitterness at the core of the novel. Fee, a twelve-year-old soprano for the local choir, is molested by his choir teacher. Due to the sequence of events, like dominoes, he becomes a ceramics teacher who wishes to be dead every day.

All right, detractors, I'll admit that the story is overwrought with red herrings and similarities and oh-no-way coincidences. But the writing. Oh, the writing is like listening to Yo Yo Ma or tapping the burnt crust of a perfect creme brulee. Like The Road, you have to read through the pain.

4.1 out of 5.0 Kisses in the Dark.

5 comments:

Stefania said...

"Tapping the burnt crust of a perfect creme brulee"... is it a reference to Amélie? Have you seen the movie?

Anyway, "The Road" is on my list for the exact reason you mentioned, the writing. The problem is that it is always on loan at the library. Maybe I should beging to use the reservation service...

Mini said...

This book sounds really interesting.

After reading your review I picked up A Ship Made of Paper and I finished it last night. It was amazing, thank you for bringing it to my attention.

Kristin Dodge said...

Stefania... now I'm putting that on my to-see movie list.

Thanks, Mini... I'm glad you enjoyed it!

sarah said...

Sigh. I love the way you describe a book.

Kristin Dodge said...

Aw, Sarah. That made my day. I'll give you the twenty later.