Sunday, December 21, 2008

97. "Lottery" - Patricia Wood


Perry L. Crandell (L for Lucky) is not retarded, as we learn in the first few sentences. He has an IQ of 76. That point - literally - is what provides meaning in Per's life, along with Slurpees at a place where a pretty girl named Cherry works and being besties with a man named Keith.

Then, Perry wins the lottery. His brothers hound him for cash. His mother sends letters. Without his Gram to protect him, Perry relies on Keith's good advice to protect him along his bumpy journey.

This was one of those books where I thought I knew where the story was going. It's funny, it's poignant, and it's tense. But, to my great glee, the author didn't take the easy way out with the last 70 pages. Sure, some of it is tied up a little too nicely (with a bow on top), but I liked the choices.

It is not Flowers for Algernon. But it is still worthy of our attention.

3.75 out of 5.0 Tall Ships.

5 comments:

Ann Victor said...

Interesting to see a review on this book. Came across the author's website and wondered what it was like. May not be in our bookstores yet (South Africa) but will keep an eye open for it!

ORION said...

What a nice mention of LOTTERY - thank you so much- I tried to make it more of a parable of our times with so much emphasis on beauty-brains and money-
And Ann you'll probably have to find it online as I don't think it's made it to SA yet- the paperback is coming out in the UK in January this year-
Thanks again and it's readers like you who make it possible for me to write!
Much Aloha
Patricia Wood

Kristin Dodge said...

Aloha, Patricia, and thank you for a wonderful read.

SPOILERS

I wept when Keith died. I was so sure he would turn on Per, which is what I am referring to with the writing choices. As a writer, myself, I am impressed with your restraint.

Most of my regular readers know I do not cry (except during the reading of "Atonement.")... so that is my highest praise.

ORION said...

ahh you cried...my work here is done...

Laura said...

I have added this to my list of books to read. It sounds very interesting! Thanks!