Wednesday, December 03, 2008

90. "The Picture of Dorian Gray" - Oscar Wilde


You know the story: a portrait that ages while the man doesn't. Intriguing premise. It must be; there are at least four movies about Dorian Gray, the latest to be released in 2009.

But do the movies capture the essence of Dorian Gray? Do they show how Lord Henry becomes a demonic figure in Dorian's life? Can you examine each frame for the perfect snarkiness of dandies and blatant homosexual overtones?

The only disappointment was the familiarity of the language. Later, I read that many of the phrases had been reused in Wilde's play, The Importance of Being Earnest.

Still, read the book. Skip or breeze through the chapter on Dorian's fifteen years under the portrait's spell (gemology, traveling, yawning). But read the book.

4.0 out of 5.0 Greyhounds.

4 comments:

Lezlie said...

I really enjoyed this one when I read it earlier this year. Even though the premise was well known, the book was quite different than I expected.

Lezlie

Kristin Dodge said...

Me too... knowing that Wilde was gay made so many of the innuendos golden (like Dorian Gray's fascination with Lord Henry). The ideas about women are nasty, but perhaps true to the time. Or at least true in Wilde's eyes. I felt full after I read it; perhaps I need a link for books that are good for your personal growth.

Mini said...

I recently read this book and really enjoyed it. I didn't know that Wilde was gay, but definitely caught on to the homosexual undertones.

Love your blog by the way.

Kristin Dodge said...

Welcome, Mini... please come back often. And bring vodka. ;-)