Sunday, September 07, 2008

74. "Before Green Gables" - Budge Wilson


Although not the original author of the famous "Anne of Green Gables" series (which I read until the pages were dog-eared and ripped), Budge Wilson tries to explain why Anne Shirley is the scrawny orphan with such big words when Matthew picks her up at the train station.

I raced through this book searching for that carrot-haired girl of my memory, and while I think the author did a decent job, it didn't have the flow and wonder of the original books. But is that reasonable to expect? Did anyone ever read Scarlett?

Some facts seem thrown in for effect; for example, a beloved teacher pulls out ipecac syrup and tells Anne how to administer it. Of course, we fans of Green Gables know that she saves Diana's sister with that knowledge. But there was no other reason to have that scene in the book at that time.

As much as I wanted it to, this didn't hit the spot, though I'm going to search through my old boxes to find my original collection (in 2009 when I have more time).

2.25 out of 5.0 Peachberry Shakes.

2 comments:

J.Danger said...

Oh my gosh! This looks so great- I never knew this was out there!

I read Scarlett- it was far from the greatness of Gone With the Wind. But how do you top that?

Kristin Dodge said...

Exactly... you can't.

Still, it was nice to spend some more time with Anne Shirley in this book. I wonder what the original author would think of this.