Saturday, September 20, 2008

76. "Purple Hibiscus" - Chimimanda Ngozi Adichie


Kambili and her brother, Jaja, live a pious life. Father, the wealthiest man in this Nigerian community, creates a daily schedule for sleeping, eating, communicating with family, and studying. She does not speak unless spoken to and follows all of the rules presented by her father and her father's church.

Then, she and Jaja get to stay with her aunt, Ifeoma, a lecturer at the university. Kambili sees student coups and learns to cook, then begins to learn to think separately from her father.

The first book by Adichie, this is a beautiful, lyrical novel about Nigerian culture. However, her more recent book, Half of a Yellow Sun, is so much fuller in its presentation. Still, if you can read both, do. I can't wait to see what else this author can bring to the world of literature.

4.0 out of 5.0 Purple Bikini Martini.

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I guess it's about time I read this author then. Thanks for reviewing this.

Jason said...

I find nothing interesting about this one, but it reinforces what was interesting about the other.

Onto the list, I say!

Stefania said...

I want to read this!

PS: I saw that you have "Clear Light of Day" in your reading list. Good choice!