Saturday, August 23, 2008

"In a good play, everyone is in the right." - Fredrich Hebbel

Perhaps this is true in fiction writing, as well. Or, perhaps giving the reader the sense of being right or fulfilled is the purpose.

Either way, I have enjoyed trying to tackle the long list of the Man Booker "Dozen." Since not all of the books were available through interlibrary loan - and I'm not big on buying books that I'm unsure of - I wasn't able to read all of them. Still, here are my nominations for the short list, in favorite order:

1. "A Case of Exploding Mangoes" - Mohammed Hanif (I'm betting this will win... or at least hoping it tops Rushdie).

2. "A Fraction of the Whole" - Steve Toltz

3. "The White Tiger" - Aravind Adiga

The "maybe":

"Netherland" - Joseph O'Neill

The "not this time, but you made the long list, so well played":

1. "Child 44" - Tom Rob Smith

2. "The Secret Scripture" - Sebastian Barry

I will be proved right or wrong on the short list on September 9; meanwhile, I've moved on in my reading to recommendations by other bloggers and will revisit the short list at a later date - after finishing my own writing, teaching, and parenting responsibilities (ha).

2 comments:

Stefania said...

It's good to know which long listed books you liked. It's the second positive review of "A Case of Exploding Mangoes" in a row. I'd like to read it.

The inconvenient of living in Italy is that I can't find books in English in the libraries, apart from the uni library from which I can't borrow books anymore. I have to buy on the web or visit one of the few shops that have novels in English. I don't like reading in Italian what has been written in Enlgish, it's like watching a dubbed movie. I'll be in London from the end of September, so that won't be a problem anymore.

I haven't read any of the Australian novels on the Prime Minister's Award. It was just an interesting list I came acroos with. I'm always looking for novels to read in the future.

PS: I saw that "Half of a Yellow Sun" is on your reading list. I hope you'll like it as much as I did.

Kristin Dodge said...

Permanent move to London? Hope not... I'm coming to visit next summer. :-)

Your review made me push "Half of a Yellow Sun" up my list, after I finish "The Yiddish Policemen's Union."