Wednesday, August 27, 2008

“How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives.” – Annie Dillard

Smart lady, that Annie Dillard. I liked spending my days reading books, sometimes finishing one per day. I liked being able to lose myself in these worn, old pages and inhaling what will always smell like peace to me - old glue, leather, faded cigarette smoke, and other people's houses... all captured on library book pages.

Until the beginning of December, I will be spending my days as a teacher. This was expected, and I'm very grateful. However, I overextended myself. Teaching 24-26 credits leads to mind fuzziness and alcoholism. Add my desire to finish my novel and you'll see that I am officially insane.

How we spend our days is how we spend our lives. I will not spend my life like this. It'll get easier because I'm going to make it easier for 2009. But, for now, I won't finish a book every few days, though I'll continue to post regularly... to avoid writing and grading, of course.

Meanwhile, the acorns are falling at the Effin' Ranch. The apples matured and ripened a month early. My parents are visiting, and a lot of the Dodge family will come enjoy our little slice of country zen. I have plans to see soul-friends throughout September. I'll cheer my son as he plays football, and I'll cheer my other son as he continues his own writing. The snow will come early, coating cragged fields and downed trees.

I am grateful.

4 comments:

J.Danger said...

I am excited for you and 2009!

Jason said...

Twenty-four credits? Are you on crack? At what point did that seem like a good idea?

I have fifteen (and another part-time job that's nowhere near as demanding as teaching) and I'm at the limit of my organizational powers.

Stefania said...

I will also be teaching, so don't worry! We all go slower when autumn comes...

Kristin Dodge said...

I am excited for 2009, too. We'll miss the income, but there are some things that money can't buy... like sanity!

It's officially 26 credits now. Oy. I will begin to get loopy around October-November.