Tuesday, July 29, 2008

The Man Booker Long List 2008

I will be putting my other reading on hold until I've read all of these. Is anyone familiar with the titles? I have a feeling that Salman Rushdie will make the short list - he always does.


The titles are:

Aravind Adiga The White Tiger
Gaynor Arnold Girl in a Blue Dress
Sebastian Barry The Secret Scripture
John Berger From A to X
Michelle de Kretser The Lost Dog
Amitav Ghosh Sea of Poppies
Linda Grant The Clothes on Their Backs
Mohammed Hanif A Case of Exploding Mangoes
Philip Hensher The Northern Clemency
Joseph O'Neill Netherland
Salman Rushdie The Enchantress of Florence
Tom Rob Smith Child 44
Steve Toltz A Fraction of the Whole


4 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

I've only read two, Rushdie and Smith. Rushdie was just okay in my opinion, but I thought Child 44 was really good.

Kristin Dodge said...

Rushdie is always just ok in my opinion, too. I don't get the mystique about him.

I'm really excited about Child 44, Sea of Poppies, and A Case of Exploding Mangoes. No reason other than I love the titles.

Stefania said...

I still haven't checked what all the novels are about, but seeing from the review on the New York Times maybe you'd appreciate 'Netherland', as it is defined a 9/11 novel and compared to McEwan's 'Saturday'...

estelle said...

The Lost Dog is lovely and oblique, apart from the "Australian bush as a character" bits that triggered, as always, my cultural cringe. I want to read the Berger, and I will definitely not be reading the Rushdie. I've read two of his, and that's quite enough thank you. Meanwhile, I'm still trying to shirk my distaste at the aggressive A Fraction of the Whole marketing, and I doubt I'll get around to that any time soon.