Thursday, July 10, 2008

60. "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" - Junot Diaz


If you:

A. Speak mediocre Spanish
B. Know The Lord of the Ring trilogy in a Biblical sense
C. Remember crazy ass pop trivia...

then you will love this book.

Oscar "Wao" de Leon is not the typical Dominican "cat" (as the narrator puts it). He's fat, he's geeky, and he wants to become the Dominican Tolkien. Basically, he has no game.

He, his sister, Lola, and mother have had horrific things happen to their lives, which is blamed on the Dominican curse of fuku (accent on the last u) and the power of dictator Trujillo. All of this is told through a series of fun references (for example, someone pulls a Dana Plato robbery - which is hilarious if you remember this bit of silly trivia) and jock strap wielding, chest thumping, ball grabbing masculine cock-strut.

Winner of the 2007 Pulitzer, this is one that cannot be missed.

4.2 out of 5.0 Caribbean Punches.

4 comments:

trish said...

Dang! I don't speak mediocre Spanish (took French in high school), I read LOTR but only once, and I don't remember crazy ass trivia...guess I'll skip it. :D

Jason said...

B. Know The Lord of the Ring trilogy in a Biblical sense

I hope nobody cops to this. Because, really, that kind of bibliophilia is over the top.

Stefania said...

I really want to read this book!!! Even though I can only answer for one of the three points (the mediocre Spanish)...

Kristin Dodge said...

Biblical sense sounds dirty. Not what I meant... I think I was drunk when I posted this because I don't remember a word of it.