Thursday, July 10, 2008

59. "DeNiro's Game" - Rawi Hage


Bassam, the young narrator of DeNiro's Game, is searching for a way out of war-torn Beirut. His friend, George, offers assistance, but it is through joining the local militia.

There are good war stories and mediocre war stories. Unfortunately, I felt like this novel fit into the latter category. I enjoyed learning more about the Lebanese Civil War, but the conflict between Bassam and George was predictably depressing. Toward the end of the novel, I began to count how many times the author described Bassam smoking. I got to 16 before I gave up.

Other people have adored this book, so judge for yourself.

2.0 out of 5.0 Lulus.

2 comments:

Jason said...

I can't remember which book I recently read, but the author of that one used the smoking bit way too much. I know it's an easy physical detail, but it's overused--especially in that book.

By the end I felt like I had emphysema.

I'm going to lose my mind trying to think of what book that was.

Kristin Dodge said...

Have you remembered yet? I think it was this book... so overused.