Thursday, June 26, 2008

55. "The Ghost Road" - Pat Barker


Winner of the 1995 Man Booker Prize, The Ghost Road completes a trilogy. I'm not sure if being unaware of the first two books affects my experience, but there did seem to be something missing.

The beginning of the book is about Billy Prior, a soldier in World War I and patient in a mental institution for shellshock; his doctor, William Rivers, is a kind, pattering man who seems to truly care for his wards. Good descriptions, quirky details, then... whuuut?

There is a right turn at Albuquerque (not literally... sheesh) and suddenly - journal entries. Memories. Passive writing. As one of the sorry soldiers may have said, "This is not what I signed up for."

As always, I can *understand* why a book was chosen for an award or prize; however, this particular novel doesn't appeal to me personally. Could have. Would have. Didn't.

1.5 out of 5.0 Gazoombas.

No comments: