Tuesday, June 17, 2008

52. "A High Wind in Jamaica" - Richard Hughes


I'm a great fan of The Lord of the Flies (oh, Piggy!), so when I heard that this was the precursor to that novel, I immediately put it on my must-read list.

The Bas-Thornton children have grown up on a wild plantation in Jamaica. After a terrible storm, Mrs. Thornton insists that the children must go back to England where they will be much safer.

Not quite. The steamer is attacked by pirates, the children taken hostage. However, the book is written in a keen child-view where the best way to win affection is through sugar and a smile.

I don't know if Hughes had experience as a child psychologist, but he nailed the thinking patterns of kids. While this is a fascinating aspect of the book, it is no The Lord of the Flies, but it does stand on its own separate merits.

3.5 out 5.0 Jamaican Yo-Yos.

5 comments:

Bibliolatrist said...

PIGGY!!!

Jeane said...

Wow, I'm going to have to get my hands on this book. I loved Lord of the Flies, too. Never knew there was a prequel. Tried a few other Golding books and they didn't sit well with me. This one sounds good!

bookboy28 said...

I just stumbled upon your blog, but already I'm loving it.

Molly said...

Hi,

I am reading the Pandora Prescription by James Sheridan and I was curious if you have ever read it? Also, have you heard about this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbx3qnKKC0Q

-Molly

Kristin Dodge said...

Bibliolatrist - :P

Jeane - This isn't a prequel, but a book written long before "Lord of the Flies," which adds some interest to it.

Welcome, bookboy!

Molly, I haven't read that one... you'll have to let me know if it's worth it.