Sunday, May 25, 2008

44. "The Golden Notebook" - Doris Lessing


"[...] if we were to view it solely as an aesthetic experience, we may lose some of its force" (Frederick Karl).

"There is only one way to read, which is to browse in libraries and bookshops, picking up books that attract you, reading only those, dropping them when they bore you, skipping the parts that drag -- and never, never reading anything because you feel you ought, or because it is part of a trend or a movement. Remember that the book which bores you when you are 20 or 30 will open doors for you when you are 40 or 50 -- and vice versa." - Doris Lessing, in her introduction to The Golden Notebook.

So, I shall try this again, as I tried it five years ago. My brain isn't ready to slog through it yet, though I did make it to page 105, 90 more pages than last time.

4 comments:

Jeane said...

I really do like that quote.txyoy

Kristin Dodge said...

I *know*... she got it. No more themed readings for me, though I'll still aim for high quantities.

Monica Olson Kraatz said...

You got farther than I did with it!! It is still sitting on a shelf...waiting. I don't know how long I'm willing to keep it!

Stefania said...

Hey Kristin! I really really like your book choices!

One of my teachers at uni said that he had started Marguerite Yourcenar's "Memoirs of Hadrian" many times but stopped before page 100 every time. He only finished it when he was 55, because that was the right time.

PS: I've also added a Best of Booker Prize poll in my blog. My bet is on Nadine Gordimer.