Thursday, April 24, 2008

"People are trapped in history and history is trapped in them." - James A. Baldwin

Settle in, children, for Auntie Kristin has a story to tell.

Once upon a time, I wrote a screenplay that received one award and many requests to "peruse" by agents and producers. The attention died down until one winter day when it seemed like it would be optioned by a well-connected, highly public actor-director-producer.

But reading historical novels caused me to, in the words of my eldest, "grow a pair."

I could not option the script and receive permission to write the novel. And, as I read more and more, I became certain that I could turn the script into novel form.

So, this is what I've been doing... the big project that I've hinted at and hemmed about. It is rolling through fingertips to pages, and I am overconfident in believing that someone with a free blog will someday criticize it to pieces.

I'll continue to read historical fiction, but I'm also revising my reading plan to include the excellent samples of modern literature. There is a pile of more than 25 books that threaten to topple over every time I pass by, so it's more of a general housekeeping goal to get those books read and catalogued in my personal library.

Thanks again for the recommendations... you will be seeing some of them "in the fridge" shortly.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

what does that quote mean?