Monday, April 28, 2008

37. "The Crimson Petal and the White" - Michel Faber


"Words can say things even bodies can't. And that's why a book like this is even better than sex." - Time magazine

I call bullshit.

Many of you encouraged me to try to read this book after I had eliminated it in my XX style. No offense, but I now realize that my instincts are never wrong.

I'm royally pissed. 840+ pages and I know three things to be true:

1. Michel Faber is published and read because he knows the "bait and switch" technique of marketers. He gave you tons of sex... loads of similes that ended in "like ejaculate" or "as if it were a woman's orifice." Then...

2. There is the constant desire to raise the whore to princess levels. Need I say "Pretty Woman"? Of course, this results in...

3. Cutting said woman back down to size.

But that's not all. Three main characters disappear. Gone! Couldn't 840+ pages be edited to include an ending?

I'm furious. I'm absolutely steaming that I pushed through a major headache to read this. If I were to meet Michel Faber, I would introduce myself, then slap him silly. It's a childish attempt at erotica that ends with questionable morality.

Royally pissed. The end.

P.S. Still love my readers.

0.0 out of 5.0 Dogg Pisses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oops. Now on to why I liked it.

It showed what society and prostitution were like in 1870's London. It had memorable and unique characters.

I took the ending to mean that William was so awful that he drove all women away, and their lives afterward didn't really matter.

You didn't talk about the second person narrative - did you get over it?

MH

trish said...

It's been so long that I read it that I can't really say much about it. I really liked it once I got into it and I really loved the ending because I liked that the book challenged my beliefs. Normally an ending like that would not be okay, but in this case it was not only okay, but justified! It made me think at the end.

Sorry you didn't like it though!