Thursday, March 20, 2008

XX. "Quicksilver" - Neal Stephenson


Oh, how I want to put aside grading papers, writing rough drafts, and tending the family for this book. Neal Stephenson had created a rich historical novel that is deep enough for big thinkers and light enough to satisfy fans of the genre.

Personally, I learned more about tidbits from African slavery to Puritans to cellular form in the first 40 pages.

I've been told that it is best to read this book as part of its trilogy, so I'm putting it off until summer. Until then, let me know if you've read it and whether my initial impression is correct.

3 comments:

Becky said...

You're absolutely correct. I've only read the first two and that was long enough ago that I think I need to re-read them before tackling the third. They're intricate and dense enough to require some attention. I also learned more about the history of math and science and economics than I ever thought I would in a trilogy that also prominently features pirates.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Becky - you need to take the time and read them all at once.

trish said...

I haven't read them, but I have bought them! Your post just might spur me on to pick them up sooner rather than later...