Friday, March 14, 2008

24. "Witch's Trinity" - Erika Mailman


I hate discovering that other writers/authors are as self-obsessed and egotistical as I am. While checking out information for my reviews, I often find authors' websites where they discuss their penchants for "google alerts." This often scars me and makes me rethink my reviews.

Erika Mailman is a self-proclaimed google alert-ee, so I'll just apologize to her now.

The Witch's Trinity is a well-researched peek into 16th century Germany and the witch trials. In the book's small town, starvation has added another layer to the fear and finger-pointing.

Gude, an elderly grandmother, lives with her son and wicked daughter-in-law. She imagines or dreams that she is consorting with the devil, who is disguised as her former husband. After a close friend is tried and found guilty of being a witch, Gude's lovely DIL starts stirring the shit pot.

If only half of what follows is believable. Gude is a textbook example of the "faulty narrator," but it becomes too distracting, which detracts from the horror and, ultimately, the enjoyment of the rest of the novel.

2.0 out of 5.0 Red Witches.

No comments: