Thursday, March 06, 2008

23. "The Killer Angels" - Michael Shaara


Are you an American? Over the age of 16? Read this book or I shall be disappointed in you.

The four days of and surrounding the Battle of Gettysburg are told through the eyes of Union and Rebel Major Generals. While fictitious in form, the technique is flawless. This book is about the decisions and how friendships and honor are shown on the battlefield.

In particular, Lawrence Chamberlain is a fascinating figure. At one point he questions, "What if it is you who is wrong after all?" These strong leaders, these men of power were once boys at West Point. Now fighting each other, it is a war of respectful engagement.

Winner of the 1975 Pulitzer Prize for fiction, this is one of my new favorite books.

4.8 out of 5.0 Blue Martinis.

4 comments:

trish said...

Sheesh! Okay okay, I've added it to my list. :-)

Kristin Dodge said...

Nothing like a little guilt-induced reading.

Between this book and "Katherine," I think I've read the best of historical fiction, and I'm not even two months into my mission. Eep.

Ted said...

Them's strong words!

Jason said...

I'll put it on my list, but it will probably be a while before I get to it. Historical fiction (for the most part) does nothing for me.

Sounds interesting, though.