Wednesday, February 13, 2008

17. "The Ground Beneath Her Feet" - Salman Rushdie


I'm shallow. I think of two things when it comes to Salman Rushdie; first, there was a call for his execution, second, he was married to that young hottie from Top Chef. I find the latter to be most amazing.

In this novel, Rushdie again takes something original and changes it to suit his imagination. In this case, it is the history of rock and roll. Ormus Cama is a cross between Elvis Presley and John Lennon (Yoko could sue!), while Vina Aspera is, later in the story, a mix of Pat Benatar and Britney Spears.

Originally based on the original myth of Orpheus, it feels like Rushdie stumbles a bit over his own witticism to the point of being aggravating. The mix of "East meets West" no longer seems fresh, especially when the characters are taken out to be paraded around as the brilliant rock giants they claim to be.

I should have loved this book, but the self-centered attitude of the author clung to me. It wasn't until later that I read the death of Vina occurred he same date the fatwa against Rushdie was released. Authors, for the love of Mike, stay out of your own stories. You are not that interesting, which is why you write fiction.

1.75 out of 5.0 Festering Boils.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading your blog for a long time now and always enjoy the posts. However, today I laughed hysterically at your first paragraph. It always amazed me that he was married to Padma..or the young hottie from Top Chef. Thanks for the laugh.

Kristin Dodge said...

Thanks for reading... even though I'm a complete dork.

I can't say Padma or I think of Padme (?) and how her makeup is awful in the Star Wars movies and Hayden could not have been a worse casting for those movies.

See... one thing leads to another. :-)

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your review. I have never read your blog before but I certainly will again.

One question: if authors stayed out of their own stories... would there be any stories?!