Thursday, January 24, 2008

8. "Ethan Frome" - Edith Wharton


As I read this slender volume, I thought of all the 1910s women who did the same, perhaps crowding around fireplaces or parlor furniture and reading aloud.

It is a book that is meant to be read aloud to a group, to be shocked and feign adoration or disapproval or empathy. Or, if you agree with Anita Shreve, it is a book to admire forever. However, I felt it was overdramatic and suspended belief, though I would have adored it in 1912, sewing my sampler and squinting against the oil lamp.

2.0 out of 5.0 Old-Fashioneds.

2 comments:

Sara said...

Somewhat bizarre... I had a dream last night that I stumbled upon two women reading a book aloud to one another. They would pause and critique it or stop to literally laugh out loud at parts. In my dream I was absolutely furious with jealousy to find out that unbenownst to me people in our day and age were still entertaining themselves like this... and I was missing out.

Kristin Dodge said...

That is so strange... weird timing. I would have been angry, too.