Friday, January 18, 2008

7. "The Comfort of Strangers" - Ian McEwan


A hefty review could exceed the word count of this novella, so I'll keep it short.

Colin and Mary are in a committed relationship, sometimes too close. While vacationing in an unnamed European city, they meet a strange local couple. Strange equals bad/evil.

Written in 1981, this could be the precursor to internet myths and hoaxes. "Don't vacation in XX or XX will happen to you."

From the first pages, I didn't feel invested in the characters, but it was short enough to finish without feeling cheated. It's thrust into the category of "meh."

1.75 out of 5.0 Sex on the Sacandagas.

4 comments:

Becky said...

I've come to the conclusion that Ian McEwan, like Michael Cunningham, is one of those celebrated authors that just doesn't do it for me. I gave them a fair shot but we don't click at all.

Liz said...

It'll take me a while to catch up on all your reviews - did you ever read Atonement? I finished it just a little while ago and it pretty much destroyed me. I was wondering how much his style differs between books - any thoughts? I'll have to read some more of his to see.

Jeane said...

I've been reading your blog for a while and I'd like to subscribe to the feed, but can't find it can you help me out?

Jason said...

Atonement was #90 for last year. Check the December 2007 archives--it's about seven posts down.