Saturday, January 26, 2008

11. "The Other Boleyn Girl" - Philippa Gregory


Gregory is known for her historical romances, so I was a bit worried about bodice-ripping, etc. in this novel (as if I should criticize, considering there are similar scenes in my first book).

Instead, I found a deeply researched book with wonderful dialogue and practiced tension, even though most of us know what happens to Anne Boleyn.

Mary, "the other Boleyn girl," is set up by her family to seduce King Henry, which she does successfully, even giving birth to two children. However, she loses favor with the king, who in turn is interested in her sister, Anne.

The descriptions of court behavior and sneaky family politics kept me flipping the pages. I intended to read it in order to see the film (Eric Bana... yum), but I ended up loving the fast-paced adventure of this 650+ page novel.

4.0 out of 5.0 Dead on Arrivals.

5 comments:

Pete said...

I think my mom would agree with you. She's really into Gregory's novels lately.

Most Prepossessing said...

I have read most of Gregory's work and I found them all to be well written and researched. I was suspect with the first, thought perhaps it would be a historical bodice ripper, but I was wrong. I really like your blog. I get a lot of ideas for books to read from you. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Kristin - have you noticed that this is the first book that you've liked this year? Maybe you need to quit the 1001 book thing.

MH

Anonymous said...

Hi. i've seen the movie recently and found that it is no match to the book. I agree with you thanks

Juliana said...

Loved it. Philippa Gregory's writing is engrossing. The movie of course, could never live up to the book. How would you be able to make an amazing 650+ paged book into a 2 and a half hour movie?