Friday, December 14, 2007

86. 87. 88. "His Dark Materials" - Philip Pullman


The trilogy, The Golden Compass (in theatres now, though I haven't seen the film), The Subtle Knife, and The Amber Spyglass, has garnered its own publicity due to the author's outspoken opinions about atheism. But like all books, the symbolism is only recognizable if you are looking for it, and most children (I would recommend this series for ages 10 and up) adore characters and plot before language and deep meaning.

Of the three, The Amber Spyglass is my favorite. It provides a fearful look at the afterlife that gave me nightmares. It also ends heroically, with sacrifice, that even the most die-hard religious right can't ignore for its effect.

I won't get into the story lines or plot; simply, these are intriguing fantasy books akin to The Chronicles of Narnia. If they get children to read, then a gallant nod to Pullman.

3.75 out of 5.0 Corpse Revivors.

1 comment:

Jeane said...

strangely enough, I tried reading this series about five years ago when I was still very religious. I couldn't finish the series because I found the anti-God ideas disturbing. I am no longer religious, and am intrigued to go back and read the series again, to see what I think of it now.