Thursday, November 08, 2007

83. "Beware of God" - Shalom Auslander


Every story in this slender volume has to do with jerking off, being Jewish, and/or failing to meet expectations. The last theme really hit me as the overriding issue of the entire book... high expectations due to the buzz surrounding this author, but really let down by the barely there attention to craft.

I can't even say that the details are great. While each story strives to be funny (and some succeed), a voice in the back of my head wondered, "Who published this? Did anyone?"

The stories weren't very original, either, which made it even more embarrassing to admit that I laughed occasionally. One short was just a litany of possible "Peanuts" cartoons.

I know Auslander can write; I've seen other articles. But perhaps fiction isn't his forte.

1.25 out of 5.0 Dark Lagoons.

1 comment:

Jason said...

Your description makes this sound like a weaker version of Roth's Portnoy's Complaint. I know you just had a less-than-satisfying experience with Roth, but Portnoy is worth a read. Eventually.