Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Quickfire challenge - from Top Chef

My quickfire challenge... to give a rapid response review for a few books:

Blood Meridian, by Cormac McCarthy.
Beautiful violence, didn't make me urp up as much as The Road, descriptions and details that all authors/writers aspire to, may be best to take in small doses.

4.0 out of 5.0 Cowboy Cocksucker.

I Never Saw Paris: A Tale of the Afterlife, by Harry I. Freund.
Typical Judeo-Christian view of the afterlife with a dash of humor, a couple very annoying characters, strange end, quick read, quickly forgotten.

2.0 out of 5.0 Screamin' Gulches.

Angels of a Lower Flight: One Woman's Mission to Save a Country ... One Child at a Time, by Susan Scott Krabacher.
Former Playboy centerfold loses God, finds Him again in her work for children in Haiti, does amazing things like builds schools and orphanages, good book for God's lambs who need to find a cause.

2.75 out of 5.0 Blonde Bombs.

4 comments:

Pete said...

I like these quick riffs of yours, but shouldn't that first cocktail have been saved for a review of the book-length edition of Annie Proulx's "Brokeback Mountain"?

prepossessing said...

American Pastoral is one of my all time favorite books. I would love to know your impressions of it. What book that you have read this year would you say is your favorite?

Kristin Dodge said...

Snicker-snort, Pete.

I just started "American Pastoral." Everyone knows someone like the Swede. I'm intrigued so far. Two huge work projects will take up my reading time this weekend, so the review may be delayed a few days.

My favorite books round-up will be in December. I keep hoping that my favorite is the next one in my pile. There's been a string of mediocre reads. I'm ready for something grand.

Monica said...

So Kristen...What happened to all your previous entries? Thought I used to be able to access them. So what's the theme/goal, etc. for next year?