Monday, October 29, 2007

77. "The Other Mother" - Gwendolyn Gross


The simmering anger of stay-at-home moms and working moms could torch the wood chips at playgrounds. I've experienced both sides, as well as the snooty sniffs over breastfeeding, babysitters, and homeschooling.

While I let go of that a long time ago ("you'll make a swell bartender someday, kid"), it seems to be as prevalent an issue. At least it is for Thea and Amanda, two neighbors who silently battle out their disapproval for each other's choices.

Add in some dead animals on the doorsteps and it could be a psychological thriller.

But it never achieves that pitch. Thea, the perfect SAH mom who makes cookies and never raises her voice, just wants a break, while Amanda, nanny in tow, just wants to survive the guilt. The reason for the dead animals has the dull ping as the last nail drops into the well.

2.0 out of 5.0 Sour Patch Kids Bombs.

5 comments:

Richard said...

you should check out this site which gives book reviews on video , you can give your reviews here

Jason said...

I can't think of a subject I'd be less interested in reading about. Since you're interested enough to read it and still give it just a 2, I'm sure it will never cross my reading list.

Kristin Dodge said...

Ahahaha. I can't even do video conferencing without giggling.

Or slur. Or hiccup. Enough of you think I'm a lush. No need to prove it.

Gayle said...

Funny - I got this book from the author and was thinking of starting it this week. Your review has made me less enthusiastic about doing so...

Kristin Dodge said...

Gayle... try the first few chapters and see what you think. But, as a reader once said, "There is no time for shit books."