Thursday, October 11, 2007

74. "The Secret Life of Houdini" - William Kalush and Larry Sloman



Once upon a time, I spent hours in the grade school library studying Houdini and the Hindenburg. Not related, but next to each other in the non-fiction section.

Houdini fascinated me with his cool, steadfast eyes. Third grade was a time of secrets and, being the geekiest kid on the playground, I was left out of a lot. I vividly remember a circle of girls chanting, "Don't know homo!" I didn't. And it wasn't in the card catalogue, either.

So, when picking up my weekly allotment of reading material, I saw this new book. What more could be said?

A lot... everything from his work for different governments to his battle against mediums and seances. It is a biography for breakfast, filling and delicious, with enough mysteries left to render Houdini one of the most enamoring figures in history.

4.0 out of 5.0 Black Magics.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!!I found a fantastic site named Couponalbum.com for shopping....It is full of best offers related to books.....!!

Anonymous said...

Dodge, I thought you'd like this:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=674031

Find some recipes. Best quote: "released this year as part of a slow and theatrical roll-out that could bring the mystical drink to Wisconsin in the first half of 2008."

Wis-can-sin. Because we're the one's with all the good shit. Jeez.

MH

Anonymous said...

"And it wasn't in the card catalogue either."

Choked. Earl Grey. Burning septum.

Jeane said...

OOoh, this one does sound good!

Joy said...

This one sounds intriguing. I think I'll look more into it. Thank you.