Tuesday, October 02, 2007

73. "A Thousand Splendid Suns" - Khaled Hosseini


Like The Hours, this book combines two separate stories in a three part novel, giving intimate looks at two Afghani women's lives, then putting the two together for the last "book."

Following the modern news of the Taliban and Kabul history, it is an interesting peek into the lives of these characters. However, the cliched turns of the women (familial pain, detachment from parents due to childish anger, surprise pregnancies after one chance with sex) make me wonder - not for the first time - why men feel as if they know enough about women to write stories about them. Sexist much? I don't think that's my issue. I'm tired of the cliches and unbelievable behavior. In this novel, for example, there is even the tired (but Kabul-icized) scene of the pillow fight that brings the women together in giggles and brick-solid comaradarie.

To say that I'm grossly disappointed is an understatement.

1.0 out of 5.0 Fire Bridgewater.

----------------
Now playing: Kurt Masur; New York Philharmonic Orchestra - Beethoven: Symphony #5 In C Minor, Op. 67 - Allegro
via FoxyTunes

11 comments:

Joy said...

Sorry this wasn't an enjoyable read for you, but I appreciate your honesty. :)

Kristin Dodge said...

Which reminded me... the end? Oh, don't get me started about the end. If the author felt the same way as his characters (and romanticized it), then wtf is he doing in California?

Grr. Irked. Completely irked by this book.

Kristina said...

Kristin,
Never got around to getting this one. I honestly still have not read the Kite Runner which is sitting on my shelf. I love your honesty!!

Monica said...

Hi Kristin!
Library Lady Monica speaking... I really liked Kite Runner but have been reluctant to read Splendid Suns because the premise sounded redundant. I guess I can save my time and read something else.
BTW, tried to contact you but couldn't. A book came for you today! :-)

Bibliolatrist said...

Glad to hear this one is crappy - for some reason it tickles me :)

Kristin Dodge said...

First of all, don't you love my "library ladies"? I'd name them all if I didn't think it would embarrass them. But Monica is special... and not just because our kids are in the same grade. :-)

Hmm, why does my "crappy" review tickle you, B?

Bibliolatrist said...

Not sure why - a bit of schadenfreude, I guess. Or jealousy. I won't deny the possibility. :)

Jeane said...

I was disappointed with Kite Runner, and heard that A Thousand Splendid Suns was better. Have you read Kite Runner? If not, did this one put you off doing so? I'm beginning to have doubts about reading ATSS...

Kristin Dodge said...

I have not read "Kite Runner" and hoped to love this book based on the first's reputation. Now I've completely cut his work from my to-read list. Life's too short for crap books, as a reader of this blog said so eloquently (and memorably).

Arukiyomi said...

well I wouldn't bother with Kite Runner actually. TO nail the coffin shut, have a read of my review HERE.

the Producers of Martellevision said...

I think The Kite Runner is worth the read. Certainly better than ATSS, for sure. Neither hold a candle to Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance though.