Wednesday, August 22, 2007

62. "The Turner Diaries - Andrew Macdonald (William Luther Price)


My library copy of this book had claims on the cover: "This book is the reason for the Oklahoma City bombings. They are trying to ban this book."

It reminded me of Abbie Hoffman's Don't Steal This Book. Guns on the cover. Outrageous claims. Let's try to drum up a publicity bandsaw.

Instead, these claims are purposeful indications of the author's personal beliefs, including white supremacy, gun rights, and, actually, base idiocy.

Timothy McVeigh was reading this book when he was caught after the Oklahoma City bombings. For a book that was only sold at gun fairs or via white supremacy groups, it met its target audience.

Basically, this follows the idea that 110 years from now, it will be a white world. No gays, no Jews, etc. After I figured out that this was a poorly written novel powered by hate, I tossed it in the "good riddance" pile. While I don't disagree with the right to free speech, I relish the right to choose what to allow into my own thoughts.

0.0 out of 5.0 Dead Nazis with Golden Tooths.

4 comments:

Anskov said...

Dodge - When are we gonna hang out? We need to catch up.

Kristin Dodge said...

Email me! I found some brilliant photos of you jumping on my trampoline.

Pete said...

Actually, given the growth rates of the various races, I'd say that in 110 it will be a beige world, not white. Unless, of course, this yahoo is advocating global genocide.

Kristin Dodge said...

Global genocide was in the "fake" foreward as an explanation for the awful events leading up to their sparkly snow white world.

I must admit that this is the first book where I have found absolutely no redeeming quality. I had convinced myself that it would never happen.