Tuesday, August 21, 2007

61. "The Echo Maker" - Richard Powers


Dear Richard Powers,

Congratulations on the National Book Award for The Echo Maker. I'm sure that your use of unique language and interesting plot contributed to your win. At least, I assume so, because I never finished your book.

After reading the phrase "braided river" twenty times in less than two hundred pages, I swore to myself that if I saw it again, I would launch your book across the room. If you read my blog, you will see that I have quite the arm... the Twins could use me this season.

So, it happened. You'll be satisfied to note that I hit my dresser with your book, which shook on its legs (my floor is not level) and spilled candle wax across its surface. However, your book came out unscathed and hopefully another less compulsive will enjoy its pages.

Best wishes,
Kristin

1.0 out of 5.0 Yellow Birds.

4 comments:

Joy said...

OH NO! I have this on my TBR list. Blah.

Kristin Dodge said...

It may affect you differently. To be fair, the repetitive nature is symbolic of the brain injury suffered by one of the main characters. I just felt like *I* wasn't brain damaged and needed a bit less repetition.

Cere said...

I've been enjoying reading reviews on your blog; adding a lot of books to my list! This post made me laugh; I rarely quit before finishing a book but when I do I want to fling it across the room!

Anonymous said...

I know firsthand that your aim is rotten, so your comparison to the Twins is a stretch.

MH