Tuesday, July 17, 2007

"The Night Birds" - Thomas Maltman


I have a self-monitored rule - I don't do reviews of books
1. Written by friends;
2. Edited by me;
3. That I've watched grow up from story to novel during my M.F.A. years.

Still, with this rule, I know this book is going to be amazing. So I will talk about the author instead.

Tom has an amazing gift of language. Most of it is pure talent, but he constantly honed it, reading books like The Art of Fiction. When we returned from a holiday break, all of us wannabe poets and writers discussed trips, crazy family members, and our classes for the spring. Tom edited 500-plus pages of his manuscript. He gets it, which is why he deserves every ounce of success he receives.

The Night Birds is about the Dakota Conflict of 1862 (true Minnesota history) and how it affects the relationship between Hazel and a Dakota warrior. Read it. In fact, go buy it, then read it.

1 comment:

Jason said...

I'm looking forward to reading Tom's stuff. I saw some early drafts in workshop, and he already had something good, though Amazon's description suggests he changed it a lot after I saw it.

His fiction is great, but he's even better at nonfiction, if you can believe it.