Saturday, July 14, 2007

50. "The Earth, My Butt, and Other Big Round Things" - Carolyn Mackler


Virginia has lost a lot recently - her best friend moved to Walla Walla, her sister is saving lives in Africa, and her brother is too cool to hang out with her anymore. But one thing that Virginia hasn't lost is weight, which is a sore subject for her mom, a nationally recognized teen psychologist who seems to have all of the answers for everyone but her own family members.

Virginia is sassy and bold and blunt. Mackler created a character who will reach many pre-teen and teen girls... and remind those of us with the ghost of our adolescence lingering in our hearts that we can find our own way.

I didn't expect to like this novel as much as I did, thinking that the teen genre would ricochet off me. But it is as much about relationships and family as being a teenager, and those issues never disappear.

Loved it. Loved it enough to purchase a copy for my private library and share with pals.

4.5 out of 5.0 Jolly Ranchers.

1 comment:

kookiejar said...

The most hilarious title I've seen all year. I might have to look for this one.