Monday, July 09, 2007

48. "Finn" - Jon Clinch


From the powerful imagery of The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, Clinch scoops up his favorites and patches them together to create the story of Huckleberry's father, known simply as Finn.

Finn, as relayed in Huckleberry Finn, lives off the river and spends nearly every nickel on whiskey. But Clinch goes deeper into this man's life. Why did he become an alcoholic? And where is Huckleberry's mother?

Brilliantly plotted, Finn catches you by the throat from the first paragraph and doesn't let go until the end. While these types of fictional hero-worship stories make me nauseous (anyone remember the sequel to Gone With the Wind?), this tale is all the more powerful because it doesn't rely on its origins to tell a good story.

4.25 out of 5.0 Cornwallis Rivers.

2 comments:

kookiejar said...

I really liked this one, too. Seems like not too many people have read it which is a shame.

geeter said...

I am enjoying it immensely. I am only sorry that I didn’t go back and re-read “Huckleberry Finn” before I started “Finn”. I will re-read it next. It is well plotted and extremely well written. For a novel about abhorrent racism, I still can’t put it down.