Tuesday, July 03, 2007

45. "The Witches of Worm" - Zilpha Keatley Snyder


Lonely Jessica finds a couple-day-old kitten and nurses it back to health, even though she hates cats, even though she is too busy waiting up for her wayward mother to come home late at night.

The kitten grows into a cat, which she names Worm. Suddenly, all of Jessica's anger seems to manifest itself in the cat, and Worm speaks to her, telling her to lie and hurt others. Jessica believes she is a witch or possessed by one. There is no real answer if this is true.

For the young adult reader, it's a good book for discussion in the classroom. However, due to the witchcraft aspect, I doubt that it is taught much, due to its banned status at several libraries.

2.75 out of 5.0 Salem Witches.

1 comment:

Ted said...

I am a fan of your blog so I was delighted to see you enjoyed Zilpha K-S too! She's one of my favorites - her Egypt Game and Headless Cupid were coming out when I was in elementary school - I continue to love her stories still.