Saturday, June 30, 2007

43. "Stones From the River" - Ursula Hegi


I never guessed that so many of my recent choices were "Oprah" selections. While I agree with her taste, I'm a bit annoyed. I dislike the idea that one person can control the success of a novel; however, this could just be my own frustrations and jealousies talking.

Anyway, Stones From the River is an epic novel about a dwarf name Trudi Montag. Her struggles and dreams stretch from the end of WWI through WWII and beyond as she settles into her role in her German neighborhood.

This book is so similar to my recent read, Suite Francaise by Irene Nemirovsky, but lacks the pull of non-fiction truth. Still, it is mesmerizing to unravel the different weaves of families and friends, and how everything and everyone is connected.

3.75 out of 5.0 Angry Dwarves.

No comments: