Friday, June 15, 2007

41. "The Tent" - Margaret Atwood


How I've adored you, Margaret Atwood. I've read almost all of your books, first choosing them by each luscious title, then beginning with your earliest work. Your books were meant for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

But this? As the pre-teen set would say, "WTF GF?"

And this reader may as well be 12 years old after reading (skimming) this book of three page... what would you call them? Anecdotes? Prose poems? Or the groans of a great-grandmother rocking in her chair, condescending enough to mutter about the inherent wrongness of everything and her utter brilliance.

Or, as this reviewer put it, "Would it be out of line to call Margaret Atwood a cranky old broad?"

This hurts me: .5 out of 5.0 Old-Fashioneds.

2 comments:

alisonwonderland said...

i've been thinking about reading some Margaret Atwood, but this won't be the one! thanks for the heads up!

Dewey said...

I love Atwood, but you know what? I read about 4 or 5 of these essays and listed the book on bookmooch. I was feeling guilty about that too, so I'm glad to hear you didn't much like it, either.